Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pinewood Derby Mayhem



Last night the local cubscouts held their annual Pinewood Derby. I had made pinewood derby cars for the kids to play with a year ago. Shortly after last year's derby I made a third car out of clear Lucite. Yep, I glued a couple of blocks of plastic together, carved it, and polished it. It smelled like Dad's dental lab. I dubbed it the Ghost Car. I thought the audience would go wild when I pulled it out of the bag and layed it on the judging table but for the life of me I couldn't find it - argh!

Well, we had enough cars for Christian and Erika. They entered the unlimited class which allowed non-cubscouts to race. Neither won their races, but both would have tied for first place in the design category had we stayed a bit longer. The kids loved it but the mayhem was a little too much for us to take. We split as soon as the crowd gobbled up the last of Heather's chocolate sheet cake. Exhausted by the day we hit the hay around 8:45 p.m. and all fell asleep by 9:00.

Now I'm planning a pink car for Juliet. I have some left over cocobolo and walnut for some new models.

No comments: