Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why Church

Any regular church goer can list a thousand reasons why he or she attends services. I don't need to repeat them here. But occasionally I'm going to add some of the great wisdoms and witicisms I hear from regular members of my congregation. Today we were discussing the dangers of pride. Not the pride you have in your child's accomplishments, but the harmful pride summed up by Ezra Taft Benson as "[pitting] our will against God's. . . The proud wish God would agree with them."

Then Patriarch Jerry Kinison added, "If humility is to see things as they really are, then pride is to see things as they are not." I asked the Patriarch whether the quote was his and he said that it was. An excellent quote. I might reduce it to "Humility is to see things as they really are" and I hope I always remember to attribute it to Patriarch Kinison.

No comments: