Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Night





Three straight nights of school, church, and Halloween dress-up. I'm done.









The strangest thing about Halloween this year was the kids nonchalant attitude about receiving candy. As a child I started trick or treating just before sunset and only stopped when the neighbors said "Shouldn't you be home by now?" My goal was to fill a pillow case with as many Smartees and Necco Wafers as possible. Then I'd pour the candy on the carpet and sort it, organize it, deliberate, and answer the most important question - "In what order shall I eat my precious treats?" After two days my mountain of candy was reduced to Brach's Neapolatins and butterscotch hard candies. Blech. But they were still candy so I felt forced by nature to eat them.


Now the kids are given top shelf candy, I mean the good stuff like Almond Joys, Milky Ways and Baby Ruths. We have neighbors who hand out full size Snickers and party size bags of peanut M&Ms. And our kids have the gall to come home after a night of trick or treating and say "Eh, that can wait until tomorrow." The one bonus is that the kids are so blase about candy Heather and I can sneak one or two, or twelve and they don't even notice.




PostScript - this was Erika's first choice.

No comments: