Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's Almost Too Easy


Decorating for Halloween is almost too easy. I could cover every wall, ceiling and floor with the ideas that haunt my head every October. When I was in the second grade I was blessed to live in LaVerne. Not just any house in LaVerne. I lived in the house where the bookmobile parked each week during summertime. I remember walking out our front door, across the crab grass, sun cooking the top of my head, and then suddenly stepping up the stairs of the dark, air-conditioned mobile library.


I rotated through the same books week after week - Movie Monsters, The Legend of Loch Ness, and Dunninger's Encyclopedia of Magic. Few seven-year-olds knew as much as I did about Lon Chaney, Nessie, and Harry Blackstone, Sr. Consequently, my mind now gravitates to all things Halloween especially classic horror figures, urban legends, and mystery. I could easily spend more money on Halloween than Christmas but that would be lame.


So Heather and I edit our natural inclinations to surround ourselves in all things Halloween by following one rule - make it instead of buy it. This naturally limits our decorative ambitions because after working and raising three kids, there is so little time left to devote to Halloween projects (exactly 7 1/2 minutes a day). I spent a few hours working on the Skull display below. Here are three new projects made by Heather. I love her simple mod of our rabbit portraits - the Zorro masks; the bat sewed from a sock; and her delicious spiderweb cupcakes.


No comments: