Saturday, May 30, 2009

What Would You Pay For A Profiterole?


Each year Heather makes a dessert for the Young Women's Dessert Auction at church. The money raised is used throughout the year for activities. Her desserts always receive rave reviews. This year she was almost embarrassed to submit her profiteroles, a choux pastry filled with cream and topped with chocolate ganache. This is an actual photo of her dessert. Why the embarrassment? Because she said they are too easy to make. Too easy? I could split an atom before I could make a profiterole. And Heather's profiteroles are one of the most delicious weapons in her baking arsenal. I love them, and so did the bidders. Sister Lee, bless her heart, loves a bidding war. She'll push you to your limits, bid $5 more than your willing to pay, buy the dessert, and then hand it to you. One plate of Heather's profiteroles raised 45 bucks. Sister Lee must have purchased 10 desserts and then gave them away. I tried to share a dessert with her with her but she said "I don't eat sugar." I would guess that Sister Lee's generosity is responsible for a third of the Young Women's budget and a third of the congregation's cavities.

No comments: