Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Addition To The Family


What weighs nearly nine pounds, is a little temperamental, and makes people say "ooooooh?" My lastest eBay purchase - a nearly new Polaroid 600 SE. Look at the size of this thing. Built like a Sherman tank, this best of the best Polaroids promises to be a very fun camera. There is nothing automatic about it, no light meter, no flash, nothing at all to help you expose the film correctly. Ergo, I'm re-learning f stops, depth of field, and exposure times.

When Polaroid announced last year that it would no longer produce film, I hoarded a bunch of film in a cool dry place. Luckily Fuji film has no plans to end its production of peel-apart film. I got this sucker for a great price too. The seller made the amateur mistake of being overly critical of his own product and pushed away many potential buyers. Scratching his head he wrote "I dunno much about these" and then added on the very last line of his dire description "the shutter and lens work fine." That's all I needed to know because that's all that matters with this style of camera. I placed a low bid and won this baby for the price of a nice dinner for two (a used but good condition 600 SE can easily sell for $500 to 600).

I pulled it out of the box and this is the first shot I took - Heather unpacking from a Costco run. Expect some interesting Polaroid shots soon.

No comments: