Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Expired Polaroid Film

It's been a while since I pulled out my Polaroid 600SE. Remember it? That's the camera I got for a song because the eBay seller made the mistake of writing several lines about its damaged housing when what matters most is whether the lens (which contains the shutter) works. And it does. It's a wonderful camera but it's about the size and weight of a microwave oven. To make it work you have to perform a mental checklist which is about a long as the Space Shuttle's. The focus mechanism was probably state of the art when it was manufactured but if you use it long enough your sure to develop a stigmatism. The Polaroid film inside the camera expired in September 2009. I feared that its magical chemicals might have turned to dust. I focused, pulled the trigger, squeezed the chemicals through the camera's rollers, and presto. See the results below.