Saturday, February 6, 2010

Me Circa 1916


I'm lucky to have a youthful appearance despite my age. Here I am during my first tour of duty in the Great War. That conflict could have been avoided if the Archduke had only followed my advice - "Duck."

After a particularly nasty day of fighting in Somme, we watered our horses and rested for the night. Gypsy vampires attacked our camp, bit me on the neck, and voila - immortality. I've been collecting veterans' benefits for nearly a century.




Actually, these pics are Grandpa Nelson. When I showed them to other people three of them said, without any prompting, "You even stand like him." Really? Palms backward, one foot pointing North, the other East? "Uh, yeah, that's how you stand - straight legged and awkward - just like him."






I used to have this haircut in highschool. I remember dad driving me to school in our yellow van the day after the barber committed malpractice on my scalp. My kind father was never one to laugh at or ridicule his kids, but he looked at my shaved sideburns and couldn't contain his guffaws.

No comments: