Thursday, October 29, 2009

Daft Punk Is Playing At My House, My House


I was never a big fan of Daft Punk until 1) I heard LCD Soundsystem's song Daft Punk Is Playing At My House which caused me to give them a second look; and 2) I saw them at Coachella. All they did was DJ atop a lighted pyramid. I couldn't tell whether they were actually doing something because their hands were hidden behind the staging. But it was the best show that weekend by a mile. Here's a Youtube clip that does not do the concert justice, but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a5dBJDz2vs . I have yet to buy one of their albums but I'm a fan of their songs Robot Rock and Technologic. I'm also a big fan of their robot helmets. You can buy an official replica for $65,000 (no kidding) or you can make your own for $30 with a little cardboard, acrylic, and body filler.


I downloaded some cardboard patterns and started making my own. Patterns can be found here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbMj-NFFQg&feature=fvsr . Normally I would have used Bondo but I discovered a new lightweight premium body filler name Rage Gold. I love this stuff. Easy to mix, easy to sand, dries quickly with fewer pinholes, and stays cool (Bondo heats up when it cures). I made the helmet Christian is wearing in this website's splash page out of paper maiche. Then I graduated to paper and spackle and made the Boba Fett helmet. http://nelsonsinspace.blogspot.com/2008/10/boba-fett-fini.html . But nothing beats this body filler. I'm already looking for another project to use this stuff again. Any suggestions?

No comments: